A delegation of Information Technology professionals in Nigeria led by the President/Chairman-in- Council, Computer Professionals (Registration Council of Nigeria)[CPN], Professor Charles Uwadia visited President Mohammadu Buhari at the Aso Villa in Abuja on Thursday 9th of January, 2020.
In his address to the President, Professor Charles Uwadia congratulated him on his well-deserved recent electoral victory. He thanked the President for his commitment to the improvement of the standard of living of Nigerians, especially through the use of Information Technology to bringing about a digital economy. Prof Uwadia listed the achievement of the present Governments through the use of Information technology to include:
1. Elimination of Ghost workers through the Integrated Payroll Payment system (IPPIS)
2. Issuance of Executive Orders to promote local Content
3. Introduction of Treasury Single Account
4. Introduction of Biometric Verification Number
5. Use of Information Technology to Fight Corruption
6. Clearance of all Information Technology projects by National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA)
To further improve and advance the development of Information Technology in Nigeria, Prof Uwadia requested the Federal Government to assist the profession in the following areas:
1. 1Automation of Government operations in Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs)
2. Quick intervention of Federal Government in the approval and recognition of the certificate of the Computer Professional Examination (CPE)
3. Due recognition for registered members of the profession to be made Heads of Information Technology Departments in their Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
4. Enhance support for local Content Development in Nigeria
5. Imposition of software import tax on all softwares imported into Nigeria to fund local software activities.
6. Adequate promotion and marketing of local softwares in Nigeria in order to promote our local content
In his response, the President, President Mohammadu Buhari informed the delegation that the Federal Government was conscious of the great potentials of Information Technology and his government was converting the great potentials of Information Technology in Nigeria to reality. He said this has been done through the use of Information Technology in fighting corruption, in the development of Agriculture, in the development of our military capabilities and social investment programmes. He solicited for the support and partnership of the Information Technology professionals with the Federal Government of Nigeria in the quest to improve the lives of the Nigerian people.
Other members of the CPN/NCS entourage are Mr. Kole Jagun, Prof. Adesina S. Sodiya, Dr. Muhammad S. Aliyu, Prof. (Mrs.) Adenike Osofisan, Mr. Allwell Achumba, Mrs. Ibukun Odusote, Dr. Usman G. Abdullahi, Dr. Danazumi Ibrahim Mohammed, Engr. Isa Abubakar, Prof. Vincent Asor, Prof.(Senator) Iya Abubakar, Mr. Tunde Ezichi, Mr. Ibrahim Tizhe, Mr. Chris Uwaje, Dr.(Mrs.) Florence M. Babalola, Chief Leo Stan Ekeh, Mr. Mike Olajide, Mr Ahmad Mukoshy, Dr. Ibrahim Abdullahi, Engr. Shehu Gambo Abdulahi, Alhaji Taofeek Amoo, Mr. Idowu Olusile and Mr. Sadiq Abubakar.